Online Encyclopedia

TARNOW

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 429 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TARNOW, a town in Galicia, Austria, 164 m. W.N.W. of Lemberg by rail. Pop. (1900) 31,691, about 40 per cent. Jews. It is situated on the river Biala, not far from its junction with the Dunajec, and is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop. It possesses a cathedral in Gothic style, built in the 15th century, with monuments of the Tarnowski and Ostrogski families, to which the town formerly belonged, and another church built in 1454. On the Martinsberg, an eminence near the town, stands the ruins of the old castle of the Tarnowski family, and a small church over 800 years old. Worth mentioning also is the town hall, an old and interesting building. Agricultural implements, glass and chicory are manufactured.
End of Article: TARNOW
[back]
TARNOPOL
[next]
JAN [called MAGNUS] TARNOWSKI (1488-1561)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.