Online Encyclopedia

TASHKENT, or TASHKEND

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 437 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TASHKENT, or TASHKEND, one of the largest and most important cities of Russian Central Asia, and capital of Russian Turkestan, situated in the valley of the Chirchik, some 50 M. above its confluence with the Syr-darya, in 40° 20' N., 69° 18' E. It is connected by rail with Krasnovodsk (1085 m.) on the Caspian, and since 1905 with Orenburg (1150 M.). The city, formerly enclosed by walls (now ruinous), is surrounded by luxuriant gardens, and its houses are buried among the fruit and other trees which grow alongside of the irrigation canals. The buildings, which are of stone and sun-dried bricks, are mostly low, on account of the earthquakes which frequently disturb the region. The native city in 1871 had 78,130 in-habitants, and in 1897 156,414, mostly Sarts, with Uzbegs, Kirghiz, Jews, Russians and Germans. The Russian city, to the south-east, dating from 1865, has clean, broad streets lined with poplars, and canals, the low • asant-looking houses being surrounded by gardens. In its population, ex- clusive of the military, was 4860, mo- ussians, and in 1900 about 25,000. Tashkent has a pub • library containing a valuable collection of works on Central Asia, an astronomical observatory and a museum.
End of Article: TASHKENT, or TASHKEND
[back]
GIUSEPPE TARTINI (1692–1770)
[next]
TASHKURGHAN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.