Online Encyclopedia

q.v.] TEATE MARRUCINORUM [mod. Chieti

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 487 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
q.v.] TEATE MARRUCINORUM [mod. Chieti, the chief town of the Marrucini, the whole of whose territory was placed under its municipal jurisdiction by the Romans, after the " Social War." It was thus a town of some importance. Under the church of SS. Pietro e Paolo and the adjoining houses are extensive substructures (in opus reticulatum and brickwork) of the 1st century A.D., belonging to a building erected by M. Vectius Marcellus (probably mentioned by Pliny, H.N., IL 199) and Helvidia Priscilla. There are also remains of large reservoirs and of a theatre.
End of Article: q.v.] TEATE MARRUCINORUM [mod. Chieti
[back]
TEASEL
[next]
TEBESSA (the Roman Theveste)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.