Online Encyclopedia

TELAV

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 509 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TELAV, a town of Russian Transcaucasia, in the government of Tiflis, 63 m. N.E. of the town of Tiflis, on the river Alazan and at an altitude of 2420 ft. Pop. (1897) 11,81o, chiefly Armenians (9000) and Georgians (2000). Telav is a very old town, founded in 893, and until 1797 it was the capital of Kakhetia, and has ruins of old forts. In the neighbourhood are the Ikaltoi monastery (6th century), the Shuanty monastery (16th century), and the originally loth century Alaverdi church, visited by many pilgrims. Wine is exported.
End of Article: TELAV
[back]
KASHINATH TRIMBAK TELANG (1850-1893)
[next]
TELEGONY (Gr. TT/Xe, far, and yovos, offspring)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.