Online Encyclopedia

TENBURY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 613 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TENBURY, a market town in the Bewdley parliamentary division of Worcestershire, England, on the Kidderminster-Wooferton branch of the Great Western railway, 153 M. W.N.W. of London. Pop. (Igor) 2080. It is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Teme, here the boundary with Shropshire. The town has a spa, whose waters are efficacious in rheumatic affections and diseases of the skin. The church of St Mary the Virgin has Norman remains in the tower and chancel. The district produces hops and fruit, and there is trade in cider. The Teme abounds in trout and grayling, and Tenbury is in favour with anglers. At Old Wood, 2 m. S.W. of Tenbury, are St Michael's church and college (1858), founded and partially endowed by the Rev. Sir Frederick Gore Ouseley, in which the ordinary preparatory education of boys is combined with a school for choristers and instruction in ecclesiastical music.
End of Article: TENBURY
[back]
TENASSERIM
[next]
TENBY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.