Online Encyclopedia

TERUEL

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 664 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TERUEL, the capital of the Spanish province of Teruel; on the left bank of the river Guadalaviar, at its confluence with the Alfambra, and on the Murviedro-Calatayud railway. Pop. (1900) 10,797. The older part of Teruel is a walled city with narrow gloomy streets and crumbling medieval houses, but modern suburbs have been built outside the walls. Some of the numerous churches are worth seeing, with their paintings by the 17th-century artist Antonio Visquert. In the cloisters of San Pedro lie the remains of the celebrated " lovers of Teruel," Juan de Marcilla and Isabella de Segura, who lived in the 13th century and whose pathetic story has formed the subject of numerous dramas and poems by Perez de Montalban, Yaque de Salas, Hartzenbusch and others. The cathedral dates from the 16th century. The great aqueduct of 140 arches was erected in 1555–6o by Pierre Bedel, a French architect. Teruel has several good hospitals and asylums for the aged and children, an institute, a training school for teachers, primary schools, a public library, an athenaeum, a meteorological station, and a large prison. The see was created in 1577, and forms part of the archiepiscopal province of Saragossa.
End of Article: TERUEL
[back]
TERTULLIAN (c. 155-c. 222)
[next]
TERVUEREN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.