Online Encyclopedia

THAPSUS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 726 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
THAPSUS, a low peninsula, now known as Magnisi, joined by a narrow isthmus to the mainland of Sicily, about 7 M. N.N.W. of Syracuse. The founders of Megara Hyblaea settled here temporarily, according to Thucydides, in the winter of 729-728 B.C., but it seems to have] remained almost if not entirely uninhabited until the Athenians used it as a naval station in their attack on Syracuse early in 414 B.C. A number of tombs were excavated in 1894, containing objects belonging to a transitional stage between the second and third Sicel period, attributable roughly to 1000-900 B.C., and with a certain proportion of Mycenean importations. See Orsi in Monumenti dei Lincei (1897), vi. 89-150.
End of Article: THAPSUS
[back]
THAPSACUS
[next]
THAR AND PARKAR, or THUR AND PARKER

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.