Online Encyclopedia

TIPPERARY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 1005 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TIPPERARY, a market town of Co. Tipperary, Ireland. Pop. (loot), 6281. It is beautifully situated near the base of the Slieve na muck or Tipperary Hills, a branch of the Galtee range, on the Waterford & Limerick line of the Great Southern & Western railway, 3 M. S.E. of Limerick Junction and rro4 S.W. of Dublin. It is governed by an urban district council. It is situated in the centre of a fine agricultural district, and its butter market ranks next to that of Cork. Condensed milk is manufactured. The town is of great antiquity, but first acquired importance by the erection of a castle by King John, of which there are no remains. A monastery founded for Augustinians by Henry III. gave a second impulse to its growth. The gatehouse, all that remains of this foundation, is the only building of antiquity in the town. Formerly Tipperary was a corporation from a grant made in 1310 by Edward II. New Tipperary was founded outside the town by Mr William O'Brien in 1890 during the "Plan of Campaign" inaugurated to boycott the Smith-Barry estate, in order to accommodate the tenants who vacated their holdings, but the scheme was a failure, and the place was abandoned and sold.
End of Article: TIPPERARY
[back]
TIPPERA (Tripura)
[next]
TIPPOG SAHIB (1753—1799)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.