Online Encyclopedia

TOURNUS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 107 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TOURNUS, a town of east-central France, in the department of Saone-et-Loire, on the right bank of the Saone, 20 m. N. by E. of Macon on the Paris-Lyons railway. Pop. (1906), 3787. The church of St Philibert (early 11th century) once belonging to the Benedictine abbey of Tournus, suppressed in 1785, is in the Burgundian Romanesque style. The facade lacks one of the two flanking towers originally designed for it. The nave is roofed with barrel vaulting, supported on tall cylindrical columns. The choir beneath which is a crypt of the 11th century has a deambulatory and square chapels. In the Place de 1'H6tel de Ville stands a statue of J. B. Greuze, born in the town in 1725. There are vineyards in the surrounding district and the town and its port have considerable commerce in wine and in stone from the neighbouring quarries. Chair-making is an important industry.
End of Article: TOURNUS
[back]
TOURNON
[next]
TOURS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.