Online Encyclopedia

TOWCESTER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 109 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TOWCESTER, a market town in the southern parliamentary division of Northamptonshire, England, 8 m. S.S.W. of Northampton, on the East & West Junction and the Northampton & Banbury Junction railways. Pop. (19or), 2371. It is pleasantly situated on the small river Tove, a left-bank affluent of the Ouse. The church of St Lawrence is a good Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular building, with a fine western Perpendicular tower. There are a considerable agricultural trade and a manufacture of boots and shoes. Here was a Roman town or village situated on Watling Street. The site has yielded a considerable number of relics. In the loth century a fortress was maintained here against the invading Danes. The site of both this and the Roman station is marked by an artificial mound known as Burg Hill, not far from the church, above the river. Towcester, with the whole of this district, witnessed a large part of the operations during the Civil War of the 17th century.
End of Article: TOWCESTER
[back]
TOWANDA
[next]
TOWEL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.