Online Encyclopedia

TRAUTENAU (Czech Trutnov)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 216 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TRAUTENAU (Czech Trutnov), a town of Bohemia, 120 M. E.N.E. of Prague by rail. Pop. (1900), 14,777, mostly German. It is situated on the Aupa, a tributary of the Elbe, at the foot of the Riesengebirge, and possesses a beautiful church built in 1283 and restored in 1768. Trautenau is the centre of the Bohemian linen industry and has factories for the manufacture of paper and for the utilization of the waste products of the other mills. Trautenau was founded by German colonists invited to settle there by King Otto Kar II. of Bohemia, and received a charter as a town in 1340. It was the scene of two battles between the Prussians and Austrians on the 27th and the 28th of June 1866.
End of Article: TRAUTENAU (Czech Trutnov)
[back]
TRAUNSTEIN
[next]
TRAVANCORE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.