Online Encyclopedia

TREBULA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 234 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TREBULA, the name of five ancient towns in Italy. (1) TREBULA in Samnium, a town of the Caraceni, on the left bank of the Sangro, some 20 M. below Castel di Sangro; the church of the Madonna degli Spineti near Quadri marks the site. It appears to have been a municipium, but we only know of its existence in Hadrian's time. (2) TREBULA in Campania, between Saticula and Suessula. The site is probably identical with the hills bearing the modern name Tripaola (about r000 ft. above sea level) above the entrance to the valley of Maddaloni. It is possibly this Trebula the citizens of which received Latin rights in 303 B.C. Its territory extended as far as the Via Appia, and its place was taken in imperial times by the Vicus Novanensis, on the road itself, near Suessula. (3) TREBULA BALLIENSIS (mod. Treglia), also in Campania, 22 M. north of Capua, in the mountains, about r000 ft. above sea-level. It revolted to Hannibal and was reduced to obedience by Fabius. Remains of walls, aqueduct and tombs exist. Its territory was mentioned in the projected distributions of land in Cicero's time: and its wine was well thought of under Nero. It was a municipium. (4) TREBULA MUTUESCA in the Sabine country, 2 m. east of the point where the Via Caecilia diverges from the Via Salaria. It lies about i m. south-west of the modern Monteleone, and an amphitheatre and other remains are visible. In a dedication made there by the consul Mummius in 146 B.C. it is spoken of as a vicus, but when the praefecturae were abolished it became a municipium. The post station of Vicus Novus on the Via Salaria (mod. Osteria Li Massacci) belonged to its territory (see N. Persichetti in Romisclze Mitteilungen, 1898, p. 193). (5) TREBULA SUFFENASiS generally placed 6 m. south of Reate (mod. Rieti) on the Via Quinctia, but is with considerable probability identified with Ciciliano, xo m. east of Tivoli, 2030 ft. above sea-level, by O. Cuntz (Jahreshefte des oesterr. arch. Instituts, 1899, ii. 89), who combines the evidence of inscriptions and of the description in Martial (v. 71), with a new interpretation of the Itineraries. There are remains of an ancient road, with substructures in rough polygonal work ascending to it in zigzags. (T. As.)
End of Article: TREBULA
[back]
TREBUCHET
[next]
TREDEGAR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.