Online Encyclopedia

TREGUIER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 238 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TREGUIER, a port of western France, in the department of Cotes-du-Nord, 36 m. N.W. of St Brieuc by road. Pop. (1906), 2605. The port is situated about 52 m. from the English Channel at the confluence of two streams that form the Treguier river; it carries on fishing and a coasting and small foreign trade. The cathedral, remarkable in having three towers over the transept, one of which is surmounted by a fine spire, dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. It contains the sumptuous modern mausoleum of St Yves (d. 1303), a canon of the cathedral, the building of which was largely due to him. To the south of the church there is a cloister (latter half of the 15th century) with graceful arcades. There is a statue of Ernest Renan, a native of the town. Saw-milling, boat-building and flax-stripping are carried on, together with trade in cereals, cloth, potatoes, &c. Treguier (Trecorum), which dates from the 6th century, grew up round a monastery founded by St Tugdual. In the 9th century it became the seat of a bishopric, suppressed in 1790.
End of Article: TREGUIER
[back]
SAMUEL PRIDEAUX TREGELLES (1813–1875)
[next]
JEAN BAPTISTE TREILHARD (1742–1810)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.