Online Encyclopedia

TRIGLYPH (Gr. rpelis, three, and yXv4...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 271 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
TRIGLYPH (Gr. rpelis, three, and yXv4 , an incision or carving), an architectural term for the vertically channelled tablets of the Doric frieze, so called because of the angular channels in them, two perfect and one divided—the two chamfered angles or hemiglyphs being reckoned as one. The square sunk spaces between the triglyphs on a frieze are called metopes.
End of Article: TRIGLYPH (Gr. rpelis, three, and yXv4 , an incision or carving)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.