Online Encyclopedia

TRIKKALA (anc. Triha)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 282 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TRIKKALA (anc. Triha), a town of Greece, capital of the department of Trikkala, and the see of an archbishop, 38 m. W. of Larissa. In winter, when great numbers of Vlach herds-men take up their quarters in the town, its population exceeds that of Larissa. It has the appearance of a Mussulman town on account of its mosques (only two of which are in use) and it is a centre of trade in wheat, maize, tobacco and cocoons. The town was in ancient times a celebrated seat of the worship of Aesculapius. Pop. (1889), 14,820; (1907) 17,809; of the department, 90,548.
End of Article: TRIKKALA (anc. Triha)
[back]
TRIGONON
[next]
TRILEMMA (Gr. Tp(Zt, three, X~7µµa, something tak...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.