Online Encyclopedia

TRIM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 283 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TRIM, a market town and the county town of Co. Meath, Ireland, on the upper waters of the Boyne, 30 M. N.W. by W. from Dublin on a branch of the Midland Great Western railway. Pop. (1901), 1513. The county buildings are here; monthly fairs are held, and there is considerable trade in corn and flour; but the chief interest of the town lies in its historical associations and remains, enhanced by a beautiful situation. It was the seat of a very early bishopric. A Norman tower, called the Yellow Steeple, is supposed to mark the site of St Patrick's Abbey of St Mary. Two gates remain from the old town walls. King John's Castle (incorrectly so called, as this monarch only resided here on the occasion of a visit) was originally founded by Hugh de Lacy in 1173, but a later date is assignable to the greater part of the magnificent moated building, of which the keep, flanking turrets, drawbridge, portcullis and barbican, still testify to its former strength, which was augmented by its frontage to the river. Other smaller fortified buildings are Talbot's and Scurlogstown Castles; the former erected by Sir John Talbot, lord lieutenant of Ireland in 1415—afterwards earl of Shrewsbury, the latter dating from 1180. About a mile east of the town, the ruins of the abbey of St Peter and St Paul occupy both banks of the river. These include the transitional-Norman cathedral on the north bank, and a castle, guarding the crossing of the river, on the south, together with a chapel and other remains. North of the town ruins maybe seen of a Dominican friary of the 13th century. The tower of the old parish church dates from 1449. In the annals of Trim many famous names have a place; Humphrey of Gloucester and Henry of Lancaster were imprisoned here by Richard II. before Henry came to the throne; and Richard, duke of York, and father of Edward IV. held court at the castle, where also several Irish parliaments met until the middle of the 15th century, and a mint was established in 1469. The residence in a house in Dublingate Street of the famous duke of Wellington is commemorated by a Corinthian column and statue. Trim is governed by an urban district council. It was incorporated by Edward III., and returned two members to the Irish parliament until the Union in 1800.
End of Article: TRIM
[back]
TRILOBITES
[next]
JOSHUA TRIMMER (1795-1857)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.