Online Encyclopedia

TROON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 306 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TROON, a police burgh, seaport and watering-place of Ayrshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 4764. It is situated 6 m. N. by W. of Ayr, and 35 M. S.W. of Glasgow by the Glasgow & South-Western railway. It has the best natural harbour in the county, with over a mile of quayae, a breakwater 3000 ft. long, and two graving docks. Shipbuilding is the leading industry, and there is a rope and sail factory. The town contains a public hall and library and reading-room. The municipality controls the waterworks and gasworks. Fullarton House, 1 m. south-east, is a seat of the duke of Portland; and at Auchans, about 3 M. west, Susannah, countess of Eglinton, in 1773 entertained Dr Johnson. Adjoining this estate stands the ruined castle of the Dundonalds.
End of Article: TROON
[back]
TRONDHJEM, or THRONDHJEM (sometimes written in the ...
[next]
TROOP (an adaptation of Fr. troupe, O. Fr. trope; c...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.