Online Encyclopedia

TUG UEGARAO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 365 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TUG UEGARAO, a town and the capital of the province of Cagayan, Luzon, Philippine Islands, on the Grande de Cagayan River, about 6o m. from its mouth. Pop. (1903), 16,105. Many of Tuguegarao's buildings—government, religious, business and residential—are of stone or brick. There are a Dominican college for boys, a convent school for girls, and good public schools, including a high school. The river is navigable to Tuguegarao for vessels of light draught; the Cagayan Valley is the great tobacco-producing region of the Philippines; and Tuguegarao is an important shipping point for tobacco. Local business is largely in the hands of Chinese merchants; Spanish and German companies control the exportation of tobacco. The town was settled in 1794, and the old church and bell tower are still standing. The local dialects are Cagayan, and, of less importance, Ilocano and Tagalog.
End of Article: TUG UEGARAO
[back]
TUFF (Ital. tufo)
[next]
TUGELA (" Startling ")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.