Online Encyclopedia

TULA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 366 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TULA, a town of Russia, capital of the government of the same name, 120 M. by rail S. of Moscow, in the broad but low, marshy and unhealthy valley of the Upa. Pop. (1882), 63,500; (1901), 109,352. It is an old town of Old Russia, but its growth began only towards the end of the 18th century after the manufacture of arms had commenced. The chief branch of industry is the making of rifles; next in importance comes the manufacture of samovars (tea-urns). Tula is an episcopal see of the Orthodox Greek Church. The public buildings include two cathedrals and an industrial museum. The town is first mentioned in 1147; but its former site seems to have been higher up the Tulitsa.Its wooden fort was replaced in 1514–1521 by a stone kreml, or citadel, which still exists. Tsar Boris Godunov founded a gun factory here in 1595, and in 1632 a Dutchman, Winius, established an iron foundry. Tsar Michael Alexis and Peter the Great, especially the last-named, took great interest in the gun factories, and large establishments so much prized. The flower is then said to be " rectified "; it is were built in 17o5'and 1714. a bizarre when it has a yellow ground marked with purple or
End of Article: TULA
[back]
TUKULOR (TUCULERS)
[next]
TULCEA, or TULTCHA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.