Online Encyclopedia

TUTBURY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 488 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TUTBURY, a town in the Burton parliamentary division of Staffordshire, England, 42 M. N.W. of Burton-upon-Trent, picturesquely situated on the river Dove, a western tributary of the Trent, which forms the county boundary with Derby-shire. Pop. (1901), 1971. The station of the Great Northern and North Staffordshire railways is in Derbyshire. The fine church of St Mary has a nave of rich Norman work with a remarkable western doorway; there are Early English additions, and the apsidal chancel is a modern imitation of that style. There are ruins of a large castle standing high above the valley; these include a gateway of 14th-century work, strengthened in Caroline times, a wall enclosing the broad " Tilt Yard," and portions of dwelling rooms. Glass is the staple manufacture. Alabaster is found in the neighbourhood.in 1322. See Mosley, History of Castle, Priory and Town of Tutbury (1832); Victoria County History: Stafford.
End of Article: TUTBURY
[back]
THOMAS TUSSER (c. 1524—1580)
[next]
TUTICORIN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.