Online Encyclopedia

TUTTLINGEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 489 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TUTTLINGEN, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, on the left bank of the Danube, which is here crossed by a bridge, 37, M. by rail N.E. of Schaffhausen, and at the The early history of Tutbury (Toteberie, Stutesbury, Tuttebiri, Tudbury) is very obscure. It is said to have been a seat of the Mercian kings. After the Conquest it was granted to Hugh d'Avranches, who appears to have built the first castle there. At the time of the Domesday Survey the castle was held by Henry de Ferrers, and " in the borough round it were 42 men living by their merchandize alone." Tutbury was the centre of an honour in Norman times, but the town remained small and unimportant, the castle and town continuing in the hands of the Ferrers until 1266, when, owing to Robert de Ferrers's participation in the barons' revolt, they were forfeited to the Crown and granted to Edmund Crouchback, earl of Lancaster. They are still part of the duchy of Lancaster. Tutbury Castle was partially rebuilt by John of Gaunt, whose wife, Constance of Castile, kept her court there. Later it was, for a time, the prison of Mary Queen of Scots. During the Civil War it was held for the king but surrendered to the parliamentary forces (1646), and was reduced to ruins by order of parliament (1647). Richard III. granted to the inhabitants of Tutbury two fairs, to be held respectively on St Katherine's day and the feast of the Invention of the Cross; the fair on the 15th of August was famous until the end of the 18th century for its bull coursing, said to have been originally introduced by John of Gaunt. In 1831 a large treasure of English silver coins of the 13th and 14th centuries was discovered in the bed of the river, and a series was placed in the British Museum. This treasure was believed to have been lost by Thomas, the rebellious earl of Lancaster, who was driven from Tutbury Castle by Edward II. junction of lines to Stuttgart and Ulm. Pop. (1905), 14,627. The town is overlooked by the ruins of the castle of Honberg, which was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War, and has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, several schools, and a monument to Max Schneckenburger (1819–1849), the author of Die Wacht am Rhein. Its chief manufactures are shoes, cutlery, surgical instruments and woollen goods, and it has a trade in fruit and grain. Tuttlingen is a very ancient place, and is chiefly memorable for the victory gained here on the 24th of November 1643 by the Austrians and Bavarians over the French. It was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1803. It has belonged to Wurttemberg since 1404.
End of Article: TUTTLINGEN
[back]
TUTOR (Lat. tutor, guardian, tueri, to watch over, ...
[next]
TUXEDO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.