Online Encyclopedia

TYREE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 549 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TYREE, an island of the Inner Hebrides, Argyllshire, Scot-land. Pop. (1901), 2192. It is situated fully 2 m. S.W. of Coll, the isle of Gunna lying in the channel between the two islands, and has an extreme length from north-east to south-west of nearly 12 M. and a breadth varying from 4 m. to 44 M. Carnan Mor (46o ft.) is the highest point; there are several lakes. On the south-western point of Balephuill Bay are ruins of St Patrick's temple, besides duns and ancient chapels. Steamers call from Oban regularly at the small harbour of Scarinish. SKERRYVORE, a lonely rock in the Atlantic, 14 M. south-west, belongs to the parish of Tyree. The massive lighthouse, which Alan Stevenson erected in 1833-1843, was constructed of granite from the quarries of Hynish at the south-eastern extremity of Tyree.
End of Article: TYREE
[back]
TYRE (Phoen. and Hebr. =" rock," Assyr. S'urru, Egy...
[next]
TYRONE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.