Online Encyclopedia

UPPINGHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 783 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
UPPINGHAM, a market town of Rutland, England, 98 m. N.N.E. of London, on a branch of the London & North-Western railway. Pop. (1901) 2588. The church of St Peter and St Paul has Decorated portions in the nave, tower and spire. The pulpit is of the 17th century. Jeremy Taylor was rector here at the outbreak of the Civil War. The principal institution of Uppingham is the school. It is coeval with the grammar school of Oakham (1584), and had the same founder, Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester. It rose in the last half of the 19th century to a place of distinction among English public schools, owing to the exertions of its headmaster (1853-77), the Rev. Edward Thring. A new group of school-buildings, with chapel, was erected in 1863 from the designs of G. E. Street. New (Tercentenary) class-rooms were opened in 1890, and a memorial chapel, containing a statue of Edward Thring, by T. Brock, R.A., was erected in 1891. The Victoria Building, containing museum, laboratory and lecture theatre, was opened in 1897. The quadrangle is by T. G. Jackson, R.A., and over the gateway is a statue of the founder, by G. J. Frampton, R.A. The school contains about 450 boys. There are general exhibitions to the universities, and also several, in which scholars of this school and Oakham school have preference, at St John's, Clare, Emmanuel and Sidney Sussex colleges, Cambridge. The town of Uppingham has some agricultural trade.
End of Article: UPPINGHAM
[back]
UPPER SIND FRONTIER
[next]
UPSALA, or UPPSALA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.