Online Encyclopedia

VALENCIA DE ALCANTARA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 846 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VALENCIA DE ALCANTARA, a town of western Spain, in the province of Caceres; on the Madrid-Caceres-Lisbon railway, near the right bank of the Sever, a small stream which here divides Spain from Portugal. Pop. (1900) 9417. Valencia de Alcantara is the most important custom-house for direct traffic between the Peninsular kingdoms except Badajoz, and has a flourishing trade in farm produce of all kinds, and in phosphates from the neighbouring mines. The town is occupied by a garrison, and retains its old-fashioned loopholed walls and dismantled citadel. A Roman aqueduct still brings water to the main street, and there are other Roman remains in the district; the courtyards and windows of many houses are Moorish in style. The interesting church of Roqueamador dates from the 14th century, the church of Encarnacion, the town hall and a fine convent, from the 16th. From the 16th century to the 18th Valencia was a celebrated border fortress; it was captured by the Portuguese in 1664 and 1688.
End of Article: VALENCIA DE ALCANTARA
[back]
VALENCIA
[next]
VALENCIA, or VALENTIA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.