Online Encyclopedia

VALYEVO (sometimes written Valjevo or...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 876 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VALYEVO (sometimes written Valjevo or Valievo), a town of western Servia, prettily situated on the river Kolubara, in a well-wooded valley, 627 ft. above the sea. Valyevo gives its name to the department of which it is the capital. It is a garrison town, with streets lighted by electricity, a high-school or gymnasium, a prefecture and a court of first instance. In the neighbouring Medvenik mountains lead-mining and smelting are carried on by an English company; lead and antimony being also worked at Podgora and other places in the same department. Besides being the centre of the plum-growing and distilling industries, Valyevo has a considerable trade in cattle, for which the pastures watered by the Kolubara are celebrated. Pcp (1900) about 6800.
End of Article: VALYEVO (sometimes written Valjevo or Valievo)
[back]
VALVE (Lat. valva, a leaf of a double or folding do...
[next]
ARMIN VAMBERY (1832– )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.