Online Encyclopedia

VASA, or NIKOLAISTAD

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 925 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VASA, or NIKOLAISTAD, in the grand duchy of Finland, capital of the province of Vasa, on the east coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, 327 M. by rail north-west of Helsingfors. Pop. (1904) 18,028. It has two classical lyceums for boys and three for girls, a school of navigation, and a large number of primary schools. There is a shipyard and a considerable export trade. Vasa was founded on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia in 16o6, but after the great fire of 1852, as the sea had already receded for a considerable distance, the town was rebuilt nearer to the shore and received the official name of Nikolaistad. The population of the province (1904) was 295,187.
End of Article: VASA, or NIKOLAISTAD
[back]
VARUNA
[next]
GIORGIO VASARI (1511-1571)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.