Online Encyclopedia

VEROLI (anc. Verulae)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V27, Page 1033 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VEROLI (anc. Verulae), a town and episcopal see of the province of Rome, Italy, to m. by road N.E. of Frosinone, 187o ft. above sea-level. Pop. (19o1) 2622 (town);' 12,655 (commune). The town is situated on a hill in a strong position with a fine view, on the site of the ancient Hernican town of Verulae, 7 M. S.E. of Aletrium. It retains remains of its ancient polygonal enceinte, especially near the summit of the hill, later occupied by a medieval castle. It is hardly mentioned in history: we know that it became a municipium in 90 B.C. The cathedral treasury contains the breviary of S. Louis of Toulouse, and some interesting reliquaries, one in ivory with bas-reliefs, and two in the Gothic style, of silver gilt.
End of Article: VEROLI (anc. Verulae)
[back]
EDWARD VERNON (1684-1757)
[next]
LOUIS DESIRE VERON (1798—1867)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.