Online Encyclopedia

VINELAND

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 97 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VINELAND, a borough of Cumberland county, New Jersey U.S.A., in the southern part of the state, about 34 M. S. 01 Philadelphia and about 115 m. S.W. of New York. Pop. (1890) 3822; (1900) 4370, including J90 foreign-born; (1905 state census) 4593; (1910) 5282. Area, r sq. In. It is served by the Central of New Jersey and the West Jersey & Seashore railways, and by electric railway to Millville and Bridgeton. Vineland is situated at an altitude of qo–1 8 ft. above the sea, on a generally level or slightly undulating plain, and has unusually broad, straight and well-shaded streets. The borough maintains a public library, a public park of 40 acres, artesian water-works, a sewerage system and an electric lighting plant. It is the seat of the New Jersey Training School for Feeble-Minded Girls and Boys (1888), the State Home for the Care and Training of Feeble-Minded Women (1888), and the State Home for Disabled Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and their Wives. The Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society (organized in 1864) has a library (8000 volumes in 19o9) housed in the Society's building, and it maintains a free lecture course. Saloons for the sale of intoxicating liquors have never been allowed in Vineland. The surrounding country is largely de-voted to the growing of small fruits, grapes, peaches, pears and apples, and the raising of sweet potatoes; and within the borough are manufactured unfermented grape juice wine, boots and shoes, clothing, carpets, rugs, chenille curtains, pearl buttons, flint-glass tubes and bottles, and iron castings. Vineland was founded in 1861 by Charles K. Landis (1835-1900), who conceived the idea of creating a settlement in the almost uninhabited " Pines " of Southern New Jersey; and after purchasing a large tract he laid out a village with small farms adjoining. The settlers, largely from New England and the Middle States, received the land at moderate prices on agreeing to make certain stipulated improvements. The township of Landis (pop. in 1910, 6435), named in honour of the founder of the settlement, was incorporated in 1864, having formerly been a part of Millville; from it Vineland was separated and was incorporated as a borough in 1880. See The Founder's Own Story of the Founding of Vineland (Vineland, 1903), a pamphlet published by the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society.
End of Article: VINELAND
[back]
VINEGAR
[next]
SIR ROBERT VINER (1631-1688)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.