Online Encyclopedia

VLADIMIR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 169 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VLADIMIR, a town of Russia, capital of the government of the same name known in history as Vladimir-on-the-Klyazma, to distinguish it from Vladimir in Volhynia. It is picturesquely situated on the Klyazma and Lybed, rib m. by rail E.N.E. of Moscow. Pop. (1884) 18,420; (1900) 32,029. The city is an archiepiscopal see of the Orthodox Greek church. The Lybed divides it into two parts. Extensive cherry orchards occupy the surrounding slopes, and in each is a small watch-tower, with cords drawn in all directions to be shaken by the watcher when birds alight. The kreml stands on a hill and contains two very old cathedrals—the Uspenskiy (1150; restored in 1891), where all the princes of Vladimir have been buried, and the Dmitrievskiy (1197; restored in 1834-1835). Several churches date from the 12th century, including one dedicated to the Birth of Christ, in which St Alexander Nevski was buried. The " Golden Gate "—a triumphal gate surmounted by a church—was built by the grand duke Andrei Bogolyubskiy in 1158. Vladimir was founded in the 12th century. It first comes into notice in 1151, when Andrei Bogolyubskiy secretly left Vyshgorod—the domain of his father in the principality of Kiev —and migrated to the newly settled land of Suzdal, where he became (1137) grand prince of the principalities of Vladimir, Suzdal and Rostov. In 1242 the principality was overrun by the Mongols under Batu Khan, and he and his successors asserted their suzerainty over it until 1328. During this period Vladimir became the chief town of the Russian settlements in the basin of the Oka, and it disputed the superiority with the new principality of Moscow, to which it finally succumbed in 1328. In the 14th century it began to decay. VLADIMIR-VOLHYNSKIY, a town of Russia, in the government of Volhynia, 19 M. N.N.E. of the spot where the frontiers of Russia, Poland and Galicia meet and 300 M. W.N.W. of Kiev. Pop. (1885) 8752; (1897) 9695, three-fourths Jews. Though not mentioned in the annals before 988, Vladimir was probably in existence in the gth century under the name of Ladomir. In the loth century it was the capital of the principality of Volhynia. The Tatars and the Lithuanians destroyed it several times, but it always recovered, and only fell into decay in the 17th century. It was finally annexed to Russia after the first division of Poland (1772). The ruins in and near the town include remains of a church supposed to have been built by Vladimir, grand duke of Kiev, in the loth-11th centuries, and of another built in 116o by his descendant Mstislay. This latter was apparently very well built, and its length exceeded that of the temple of St Sophia at Kiev. The town contains a good archaeological museum.
End of Article: VLADIMIR
[back]
VLADIKAVKAZ
[next]
ST VLADIMIR (c. 956-1015)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.