Online Encyclopedia

VYATKA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 222 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
VYATKA, a town of Russia, capital of the government of the same name, on the Vyatka river, 304 M. by rail W.N.W. of Perm. Pop. 24,782. It is built on the steep hills which rise above the river and at their base. Its old walls have been demolished, and its old churches built anew. It is an episcopal see and has a fine cathedral. Its manufactures include silver and copper wares, and ecclesiastical ornaments, and it has an important trade in corn, leather, tallow, candles, soap, wax, paper and furs (exported), and in manufactured and grocery wares (imported). Vyatka was founded in 1181 by the Novgorodians, as Khlynov. In 1391 it was plundered by the Tatars, and again in 1477. Moscow annexed Khlynov in 1489. It received the name of Vyatka in 1780.
End of Article: VYATKA
[back]
VURJEEVANDAS MADHOWDAS (1817-1896)
[next]
VYATKA, or VIATICA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.