Online Encyclopedia

WALMER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 288 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WALMER, a watering-place, and member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich, in the St Augustine's parliamentary division of Kent, England, 2 M. S. of Deal, on the South-Eastern & Chatham railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 5248. Lower Walmer, the portion most frequented by visitors, extends northward along the coast, so as to be contiguous with Deal. Upper Walmer is a short distance inland, and below it Walmer Castle lies close to the sea. This was a blockhouse built for coast defence by Henry VIII., but became the official residence of the Lords Warden of the Cinque Ports, and was in consequence much altered from its original condition. It ceased to be the official residence in 1905, when the prince of Wales (afterwards George V.) was appointed Lord Warden, and the public was given access to those rooms which possess historical associations with former holders of the office, such as the duke of Wellington, who died here in 1852, William Pitt and others. Kingsdown, 1 m. south, is a decayed member of the Cinque Port of Dover.
End of Article: WALMER
[back]
WALLSEND
[next]
THOMAS ATTWOOD WALMISLEY (1814-1856)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.