Online Encyclopedia

WEILBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 495 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WEILBURG, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, picturesquely situated on the Lahn, just above the confluence of the Weil, 50 M. N.E. from Coblenz by the rail-way to Giessen. Pop. (1905) 3828. The old town, built on and around a rocky hill almost encircled by the river, contains a castle of the 16th century, formerly the residence of the dukes of Nassau-Weilburg, and later of the grand-dukes of Luxemburg. It has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church; the former, the Stadtkirche, containing the burial vaults of the princes of Nassau, a gymnasium and an agricultural college. Its industries include wool-spinning, mining, tanning and dyeing. In the neighbourhood are the ruins of the castles of Merenberg and Freienfels. Weilburg was in the 1th century the property of the bishops of Worms, from whom it passed to the house of Nassau. From 1355 to 1816 it was the residence of the princes of Nassau-Weilburg, a branch of this house. See C. C. Spielmann, Rarer durch Weilburg and Unagebung (Weilburg, 1894) ; and Geschichte der Stadt and Herrschaft Weilburg (Weilburg, 1896).
End of Article: WEILBURG
[back]
WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
[next]
WEIMAR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.