Online Encyclopedia

WELLINGTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 513 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WELLINGTON, the capital of New Zealand, the seat of government and of a bishop. Pop. (1901) 43,638; (1906) 58, 563, and including suburbs, 63,807. It lies on the south-western shore of North Island, on the inner shore of Port Nichol-son, an inlet of Cook's Strait, the site affording a splendid harbour, walled in by abrupt hills. The original flat shore is occupied by massive walls constructed for the reclaiming of land, as the hills prevent an inland extension of the city. Wood was originally in favour as a building material, owing to the prevalence of earthquakes, but brick and stone subsequently took its place in the construction of the principal buildings. The main street is a winding thoroughfare named in different parts Thorndon Quay, Lambton Quay, Willis Street and Manners Street. It runs parallel to the shore, but the quays properly so called are separated from it by blocks of buildings. It is traversed by an electric tramway. There are two railway stations in the town and one in the southern suburb of Te Aro. Two main lines leave the town, one following the west coast, the other an inland route to Napier. The principal buildings are governmental; the houses of parliament, formerly a wooden erection, are rebuilt in brick and stone; there are also the residence of the governor and court house. The fine town hall was founded by the prince of Wales in 1901. There
End of Article: WELLINGTON
[back]
WELLINGBOROUGH
[next]
1ST DUKE OF ARTHUR WELLESLEY WELLINGTON (1769-1852)...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.