Online Encyclopedia

WELS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 516 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WELS, a town of Austria, in Upper Austria, 17 M. S.S.W. of Linz by rail. Pop. (1900) 12,187. It is situated on the river Traun and possesses an interesting parish church, in Gothic style, rebuilt in the 15th century, but the oldest part supposed to date from the 9th century. The town draws a supply of natural gas, used for lighting, heat and motive power, from deep artesian borings first made in 1891. It has an important trade in corn, timber, horned cattle, pigs and horses, fowls, dairy produce and lard; and considerable manufactures, including machinery, cast-iron, copper and brass goods, calico, gunpowder, oil, paper, articles in felt, flour, leather and biscuits. Weis stands on the site of the Roman Ovilaba, and was in the 8th century the residence of the dukes of Lambach-Wels. The actual town dates from the r rth century.
End of Article: WELS
[back]
WELLSVILLE
[next]
WELSER

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.