Online Encyclopedia

WESTHOUGHTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 544 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WESTHOUGHTON, an urban district in the Westhoughton parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 5 M. W.S.W. of Bolton on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Pop. (1901) 14,377. There are coal mines in the neighbourhood, and the town possesses silk factories, print-works and cotton mills. Westhoughton before the time of Richard II. was a manor belonging to the abbey of Cockersand. It was confiscated ' at the Reformation, and since then has been vested in the crown. The army of Prince Rupert assembled on Westhoughton moor before the attack on Bolton.
End of Article: WESTHOUGHTON
[back]
WESTFIELD
[next]
SIR RICHARD WESTMACOTT (1775-1856)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.