Online Encyclopedia

WHITTINGTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 615 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WHITTINGTON, an urban district in the north-eastern parliamentary division of Derbyshire, England, Io m. S. by E. of Sheffield and 2 M. N. of Chesterfield, on the Midland railway. Pop. (1901) 9416. The parish church of St Bartholomew was restored after its destruction by fire, excepting the tower and spire, in 1895. Samuel Pegge, the antiquary (1704-1796), was vicar of Whittington and Heath for many years, and was buried here. Stone bottles and coarse earthenware are manufactured in the town, where there are also large ironworks, collieries and brickworks. A small stone cottage, known as Revolution House, was the meeting-place of John Darcy, the 1st earl of Danby, and the 4th earl of Devonshire, who there concerted the plans by which, in 1688, the Whig party brought about the fall of James II. and the succession of William III. It was then a hostelry, known as the " Cock and Pynot "; pynot being the local name for a magpie.
End of Article: WHITTINGTON
[back]
WILLIAM WHITTINGHAM (c. 1524-1579)
[next]
RICHARD WHITTINGTON (d. 1423)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.