Online Encyclopedia

WISHAW

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 753 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WISHAW, a municipal and police burgh of Lanarkshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 20,873. It occupies the face of a hill a short distance south of the South Calder and about 2 M. N. of the Clyde, 15 M. E.S.E. of Glasgow by the Caledonian railway. It owes its importance to the development of the coal and iron industry, and was created a police burgh in 18J5. It was ex-tended to include the villages of Cambusnethan and Craigneuk in 1874. The chief public buildings are the town-hall, Victoria hail, the public library and the parish hall, and there is also a public park.
End of Article: WISHAW
[back]
GEORGE WISHART (c. 1513-1546)
[next]
JOHANNES WISLICENUS (1835-1902)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.