Online Encyclopedia

WITHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 758 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WITHAM, an urban district in the Maldon parliamentary division of Essex, England, 39 M. N.E. by E. from London by the Great Eastern rail-way. Pop. (1901) 3454• It lies on the River Brain, an affluent of the Blackwater, also known as the Guith, a form connected with the name Witham. The church of St Nicholas is principally Decorated, but retains earlier portions. Roman bricks appear in its fabric, and premise a Roman station in the vicinity. Surrounding the church (which stands in a high-lying portion of the town known as Chipping Hill) there are earthworks, possibly the remains of a fortification recorded as made by order of Edward the Elder in 913, but perhaps of British origin.
End of Article: WITHAM
[back]
WITCHCRAFT
[next]
GEORGE WITHER (1588-1667)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.