Online Encyclopedia

WOLGAST

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 776 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WOLGAST, a seaport town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Pomerania, situated on the river Peene, which separates it from the island of Usedom, 30 M. by rail E. of Greifswald. Pop. (1905) 8346. There are various manufactures. Wolgast became a town in 1247, and after being the residence of the duke of Pomerania-Wolgast, it was ceded to Sweden in 1648. It was captured four times during the Thirty Years' War, and in 1675 by Frederick William, elector of Brandenburg. It was restored to Germany in 1815. See B. Hebertein, Beitrage zur Geschichte der Burg and Stadt Wolgast (Wolgast, 1892).
End of Article: WOLGAST
[back]
WOLFRAMITE, or WOLFRAM
[next]
WILLIAM WOLLASTON (1659--1724)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.