Online Encyclopedia

WOODBRIDGE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 790 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WOODBRIDGE, a market town in the Woodbridge parliamentary division of Suffolk, England; 79 M. N.E. by E. from London by the Great Eastern railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 4640. It is prettily situated near the head of the Deben estuary, which enters the North Sea 10 m. S. by E. The church of St Mary the Virgin is a beautiful Perpendicular structure, with a massive and lofty tower of flint work. The large estate left by Thomas Seekford of Sekforde (1578) endows the grammar school and hospital. Woodbridge Abbey, built by Seekford, occupies the site of an Augustinian foundation of the 12th century. There is a large agricultural trade, and general fairs and horse fairs are held.
End of Article: WOODBRIDGE
[back]
SEARLES VALENTINE WOOD (1798—188o)
[next]
WOODBURY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.