Online Encyclopedia

WORTHING

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 836 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
WORTHING, a municipal borough and seaside resort in the Lewes parliamentary division of Sussex, England, 61 m. S. by W. from London by the London, Brighton & South Coast rail-way. Pop. (1901) 20,015. It has a fine marine parade, and a promenade pier, and there is a long range of firm sands. A public park, 21 acres in extent, was opened in 1881. The principal buildings are several modern churches, the town hall (1834), municipal buildings, free library, literary institute, infirmary and convalescent homes. The mother parish of Worthing is Broad-water, the church of which, 1 m. north of Worthing, is a cruciform building, and a fine example of transitional Norman work. A Roman villa, evidence of the existence of pottery works, and a so-called mile-stone, have been discovered at Worthing. The town was incorporated in 1890, and is under a mayor, 8 alder-men and 24 councillors. Area, 1439 acres.
End of Article: WORTHING
[back]
CHARLES FREDERICK WORTH (1825-1895)
[next]
NICHOLAS WOTTON (c. 1497–1567)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.