Online Encyclopedia

ZABERN (French, Saverne)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 948 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ZABERN (French, Saverne), a town of Germany, in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine, district of Lower Alsace, situated on the Rhine-Marne canal at the foot of a pass over the Vosges, and 27 M. N.W. of Strassburg by the railway to Deutsch Avricourt. Pop. (agoo) 8499. Its principal building, the former episcopal residence, rebuilt by Cardinal de Rohan in 1779, is now used as barracks. There are also a 15th century church and an antiquarian museum. In the vicinity are the ruined castles of Hoch-barr, Grossgeroldseck, Ochsenstein and Greifenstein. Hence a beautiful road, immortalized by Goethe in Dichtung and Wahrheit, leads across the Vosges to Pfalzburg. Zabern (Tres Tabernae) was an important place in the times of the Romans, and, after being destroyed by the Alamanni, was rebuilt by the emperor Julian. During the Peasants' War the town was occupied, in 1525, by the insurgents, who were driven out in their turn by Duke Anton of Lorraine. It suffered much from the ravages of the Thirty Years' War, but the episcopal castle, then destroyed, was subsequently rebuilt, and in 1852 was converted by Louis Napoleon into a place of residence for widows of knights of the Legion of Honour: See Fischer, Geschichte der Stadt Zabern (Zabern, 1824).
End of Article: ZABERN (French, Saverne)
[back]
ZAANDAM (incorrectly SAAuDAM)
[next]
ZABRZE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.